Wednesday 26 March 2014

GUEST POST: Unrealistic Disney Expectations

Hi I’m Leah and I blog over at Peaches andSmoke.
As with pretty much every girl who grew up in the 90’s she grew up with Disney, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Cinderella, the Little Mermaid. In fact the Little Mermaid made me realise my ambition in life that when I grew up I wanted to be a mermaid… Hasn’t worked out yet but there’s always hope that my fairy godmother will come and make all my dreams come true. 


Over the years watching Disney has given me a lot of false hope just like the mermaid incident not one of them have yet to come true. Which got me thinking of all the unrealistic expectations that Disney sets upon us naive young girls.

  1. That love at first sight exists, I remember meeting my first love yea sure I thought it was love at first sight and that he would ask me to marry him and we’d skip away together into the sunset. Did that happen no? Pretty much he was rude and not a very nice person. You know what it’s like, you remember being 14 and meeting the first love and thinking that’s it I’m going to marry this one and be with him forever. That is Disney’s fault.
  1. About hair, this one is a big one for me. I see all the beautiful hair and generally girls being beautiful and I remember thinking I want to look like them. I want hair like them and I still do. I still dream of having those long voluminous locks that just blow in the wind every time I break out into a melody.
  1. That every girl can be a princess. The sad situations that some of the Disney princesses found themselves in. Cinderella under the wrath of her evil stepmother was lucky enough to find her fairy godmother and turned into a princess so she could meet her prince at the ball. If only that could happen to every girl but alas it doesn’t and if I’m honest some girls do really need to find their fairy godmother and be a princess.
  1. About Men. We all want that Prince Charming to come riding over the hills and valley on the back of a white horse and Wisk you away to happiness. Well we can all dream can’t we?
  1. What it actually means to be a women. I think this says it all.


- Leah x

1 comment :

  1. Point 3 is the reason why if me and my husband ever have girls, we're not doing the whole "you can dress up and be a princess" thing - more for the doing nothing and waiting for a man to come along not much of an ambition to instil. Urgh.

    ReplyDelete